Banner

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Meteor showers - Perseids

 Perseids aroused my interest in Astronomy

I became interested in astronomy a few years ago. I was reading up some articles about technologies and I found out that there's gonna be meteor showers on 13th of August called the Perseids.  I had no idea things like that were happening at that time. I became fascinated by it so I decided to look more into it.

The Perseids are called that way because the point from which the meteors seem to be coming from lies in the constellations Perseus. The earth travels through a cloud of dust which consists of particles ejected by a comet called Swift-Tuttle.

I remember the first time I heard about it I set up to spectate that glorious event. I was still young and was living in a city apartment. I wanted to get somewhere out of city to spend the night observing them but I had no one to go with. I still didn't want to miss it so at around 1 am I went into my balcony with my blanket and lay down on cold concrete. I only saw a small part of the sky and there weren't too many stars there because of the light pollution but I remember seeing the constellations Pegasus and Cassiopeia. It took quite some waiting and  I was about to give up but then I saw one. It was really exciting for me that time. I saw a few more and it was too cold so I went to bed.

Two years ago I was in a village shack that is owned by my father. It's far away from the city and the night sky is the best seen from there as far as I know. The meteor showers were magnificent, I saw dozens of them falling. I can still remember the day very well. After that day, the night sky became something much more for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment